On July 19, 2016, our Peoplarium hosted Post I/O Tour by Google Developer Group (GDG) Odessa. During the event, Google developers shared their experience attending Google I/O Keynote in Mountain View, CA, and discussed current state of the IT ecosystem in Ukraine, its key challenges and opportunities.
Here's our wrap-up of the main points discussed:
Change in Google leadership in the CEE region
Former Lead of the CEE region, Dawid Ostrowski will move to manage Google's Global Experts program. Aleksandra (Ola) Krainska steps up as a new Lead and will be responsible for developing regional IT ecosystem, contribute to the success of Google developers and startups in the region, especially those that actively use Google technologies. Ola is currently hiring for a regional lead to be based out of Poland and oversee Ukraine's GDG.
Ukraine's IT ecosystem 2016: Google's perspective
- Approximately 70% of all Google developers in Ukraine are employed by outstaffing/outsourcing companies.
- The average number of apps in Google Play is low, but the total number of apps built by Ukrainian developers has yet to be determined to better represent the region within Google.
- Ecosystem structure:
- Resources and publications:
- Ukraine's online community of IT specialists - dou.ua (the most powerful resource for local tech news, interviews, industry reports, discussions and more)
- Ukraine: the rise of technology nation (the unique research that represents a comprehensive overview of the Ukrainian IT outsourcing and software R&D capacities)
- The Dealbook of Ukraine (the ultimate report about the Ukrainian startup and venture capital scene in 2016, including 2014-2015 deals)
- IT Clusters
- Resources and publications:
- Startup scene
- Lack of local startup investments. Most of Ukrainian startups are in seed and round 1 stages and looking abroad. Many startups register overseas and don’t show their products as built in Ukraine.
- Bright developers, often missing local success stories to understand what it means to build a successful startup.
- New startup ecosystem is emerging after political stabilization.
- Lack of proper business education — as a result, developers tend to join workforce rather than establish their own business.
- Accelerator programs
- Major coworking spaces, incubators
- Famous Ukrainian startups (or startups of Ukrainian origin):
- Viewdle (bought by Google in 2012)
- Petcube (originally from Dnipro)
- Ecois.Me (originaly from Kyiv)
- Games for kids https://nravokids.com/en/ (subdirectory of nravo.com)
- AgTech startup eFarmer
- Looksery - the most ‘expensive’ one, bought by Snapchat
- Lametric - smart display developed in Lviv
- iBlazr - LED flash for iPhones which is now officially sold in the Apple App Store
- Ukrainian IT ecosystem challenges
- Missing monetization options (PayPal is not available in Ukraine, Payoneer is a system of choice for many developers).
- Too focused on IT exports.
Stay tuned with Intersog!